I don’t consider myself that much of a baby when it comes to running, but these past few days that have been under 20 degrees have made me a big old baby.
I have resulted to the treadmill, or what most of my running friends have termed the “dreadmill.”
Well you know what, let’s instead of focusing on the bad, give the ol’ dreadmill a second chance to redefine itself.
Bear with me here…
Let’s consider just maybe this is a beautiful machine (well the lucky ones I have access to at the Penn gym!), let’s give the dreadmill back its proper name: a treadmill!
What makes a treadmill great?
- You are forced to run a certain speed. This is great for fartleks, PR’s, or speed training.
- You literally can completely clear your mind, there is nothing better to think about when you don’t have to worry about where you are going or distance or speed. Just make sure your shoe laces are tied.
- You can watch movies, TV, or youtube videos on the treadmill. The ones at Penn are awesome and have TVs attached but also your fancy smartphone probably has the same capacity to stream stuff! My favorite thing to watch: cooking shows. If I get really lucky Cupcake Wars is playing while I’m there! Seem ironic I’m running and getting new ideas for cupcakes? Probably is, but I embrace it!
- People watching. Let’s be real, we all do it, embrace it and make a game out of it! I like to count the colors of people’s shoes and keep a tally of what is the “Hottest shoe color for INSERT DAY I’M AT GYM HERE”
- You can read! I’m slowly becoming really good at this. When classes give you more readings than you ever thought possibly for the human eyes to consume in their lifetime, you learn to multi-task. Yes, I’m probably not getting as much out of them as if I were solely focused on them but hey it’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make. The best way to do this is to tie your book/ papers to the treadmill with one of those large stretchy headband things.
- It’s a great time to check up on those emails, texts, and all your other “secretarial work.” As my lovely family and very close friends know dearly I often times use one of those handless headset earphones and make calls during my treadmill runs (and others, but mostly treadmill running). I definitely recommend this but beware you WILL get disgusted looks from your fellow gym-mates!
And I’d keep going but honestly those are the only ones I can think of! Give the old treadmill a try during this cold and miserable season! And as a general rule just be happy you are running!! 🙂